Saturday, February 16, 2013

Vogel


I feel that many people may have the same interpretation as I do as to the reason for the Greek Chorus. In my mind I feel like having all other characters in the show as non-descript entities, creates the illusion that they are the only two that see each other for who they are. Limiting the point of view to that of the two main characters allows us to remove a bit from what society has ingrained into us. The Greek chorus also prevents us from being able to make a connection with any other character, and allows us to focus on the growth and motives of Li’l Bit and Uncle Peck. Though she limited the point of view she didn't force it. The author could have omitted the parts where other characters were involved instead she included them to provide contrast to the ideas of the main characters. I also think that she chose the chorus in order to remind us of social order at times.
The most interesting convention that I took from the play was the casting of the main character as a singular forty something year old woman. The author could have cast the role as many different girls in various stages of their life in order to play the one role, but she didn't. For me I took that all the things that happened to her in her life made her the woman that she is today. In the end when she talks about where she is in her life, we can really see what kind of damage that Peck and the rest of her family did when they betrayed her trust. I think it also allows for a distancing effect. Not staging a real live ten year old going through the motions of being molested by an old man allows us to look at the situation instead of turning away in agony.

No comments:

Post a Comment